Sunday, May 30, 2004

Week 4

May 24 – 30

Since we are seeing a matinee on Wednesday, we had another round of classes TUESDAY. Though cramming homework yesterday was awful, I now don’t have class again until Monday. We visited the Banqueting Hall that used to be part of King James I’s castle. It’s the only building to survive a huge fire. It’s important 1) because it was designed by Inigo Jones who was the most famous designer of the Elizabethan Renaissance, and 2) Shakespeare’s plays were performed there for the king. Then we walked up the street to Trafalgar Square where the National Gallery is. We decided to walk down to Big Ben instead of going into the Gallery. Houses of Parliament were really busy, so we just walked around the outside instead of sitting in on a session. Then, to Westminster Abbey which is across the street. I will have to go to evensong some Sunday to be able to see the inside for free, otherwise its 7 pounds that I could spend on a show.
Lastly, we headed to the National Theater to see the History Boys platform. Author Allan Bennett talked about the inspiration for and motivations of the play we saw at the beginning of the program. The run is now sold out and the show has had amazing reviews. I decided to buy the script, and because I attended the platform I will get a signed copy.

WEDNESDAY, we saw Gone to Earth at the Lyric Hammersmith. It’s the story of a naïve girl who lives close to the earth and has to try to understand love without any explanation from those around her. It was very affecting. It’s based on a novel by Mary Webb, so I will probably buy it if I can find it.
Then we went back to the National for Measure for Measure. This is my least favorite Shakespeare play, maybe one of my least favorite ever, and the production did nothing to help me. It was very contrived with the director’s influence much too apparent.

THURSDAY was the day at Cambridge: The colleges are beautiful, at least on the outside. We couldn't go in because exams were in session. King's College has an impressive Church of England chapel. The ceiling is carved with images of people and the stained glass depicts bible stories. We attended evensong with a lovely boy's choir. After touring a few colleges, we walked around an outdoor market. England is full of them. I will miss markets when I get back home. The fruit is always fresh and there are always little handicrafts that can't be found elsewhere.
After that, and after a stint of being lost, we made our way to the river for punting. Punting involves directing a boat down the river with a long pole that pushes off the river bottom (much like a gondola). I got in boat number 3, titled Ménage, with Emily Maryann and Matt. Matt was the first to. We then traded in round Me, Maryann and Emily. It is really hard to keep the boat going straight. While we weren't punting we were using the emergency paddle to push us off the bank or moored boats. I have a great picture of Emily saving us.
After an hour, we made our way back to the town, thankfully dry (I very nearly fell in once). Next, we shopped in the stores around town. Emily and I bought pedometers to track how far we walk. We've found that we walk upwards of five miles daily. I'll have to work hard to keep that up when I'm back in the States. Then we went to evensong, as mentioned above, and on to dinner.
While trying to find a restaurant that we could all agree on, I crossed the street without looking back to the right to see over the bridge. All of a sudden, I could see from the corner of my eye a girl on a bike pedaling towards me. I sped up and she ploughed into my backpack. Thankfully no one got hurt - I startled her a lot - but I was scared to cross the street for a long time.
Lastly, we saw a production of Othello performed by Cheek by Jowl. It was unlike anything else I've ever seen. Othello, though a distrusting murderer, was so compelling and sympathetic. Emilia was a fully developed, strong woman who could stand up against Iago. The staging kept all the characters onstage throughout the play; those who were not involved in the scene stood silently with their backs to the action. It kept the energy of the production so high you could almost see it.

FRIDAY, Emily and I tried out the Shakespeare walking tour with our class, but tired of group travel quickly. The group shuffle is the worst, and we‘ve seen enough locations that are only famous because it is likely that Shakespeare was once there. We went over to the National to place my History Boys order then headed to Southwark to get tickets to Americana Absurdum. We got a little lost and walked around for a while trying to find a tube stop. The neighborhood was a bit sketchy, but we made it home in one piece.

SATURDAY, we went with Megan and Maddie to Buckingham Palace. We walked from home near Kensington Gardens over to the Palace. Then we headed to Borough market which has a wide selection of fresh produce. We got there about an hour before it closed and by the time we were ready to leave a lot of vendors were giving great deals to move their fresh produce. I got enough peppers to last a week, a bag of grapes and a pint of strawberries for 1 pound. I also got a loaf of sunflower wheat bread for 50p. I made roasted peppers for the next few days off and on. They’re really good in a sandwich with humus.

SUNDAY we got to know the local college age students at church. The night was fun because I stayed up late talking with roomies. Emily, Caitlin and I are really getting along. I’m so grateful to have good friends here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home