Sunday, June 13, 2004

Week 6

June 7 - 13

MONDAY we are preparing for finals by studying possible questions to be asked in a game show format of oral exam. Ugh!
Whistling Psyche is a must see. I was so humbled by the performance. I one day hope to play Dr. Barry with such sincerity and power. It's the story of Florence Nightingale and Dr. Barry meeting in a train waiting area after death. The revelation of the plot is so strong. I was completely captivated by a play with two actors speaking extended monologues and barely speaking to each other.

TUESDAY we slept in and worked in homework until we could not stand it anymore. We took a break and traveled to Harrods. It's HUGE and has everything you could think of for rather high prices. The food, though, is pretty comparable. We spent two hours walking around as if we were in a museum where you can look but not touch and have no hope of taking anything home. Then we came home and put our noses to the grindstone.

WEDNESDAY was the last day of regular class. Monday is review and next Wednesday is the first final session. Then we're done.
We saw two more one-acts at the Young Vic. First, was a Brecht piece called “The Exception to the Rule.” What a shining example of Brechtian Theater. I can finally say I’ve seen it. It totally alienated the audience from their emotions and taught that capitalism is not the way to go. The second was an absurdity piece by Eugene Ionesco called “The New Tenant” in which a man moves in his furniture until it takes over the house and the neighborhood and so forth until it causes the stage floor to rise and collapse the set. It was insane. I loved it. Several life stories were played out through the relationships between the furniture, e.g. a love triangle between three chairs. In the end, the man pins himself into a corner and decides to stay there. Emily and I think it could be a metaphor for the life cycle, but it can be anything with theatre of the absurd.

THURSDAY we went to Hampton Court Palace. The best part was the huge maze that dates all the way back to William III. We actually hit a few dead ends. We also saw the royal chambers and state rooms. After about two hours, there really wasn’t much more to see. We walked around the town near the castle and had lunch. Once we got home, we started studying for our tests.

FRIDAY was the day of shopping, though I never actually bought anything. Emily and I took our friend out for a make-over. We helped him pick out new pants, two new shirts, a new belt, new shoes and a new hair color. I decided to give my hair a little pizzazz as well, can you tell in the pictures? Then we came home and worked on homework.

SATURDAY, after sleeping in till 10, the rest of the day was dedicated to homework. We started reading Henry IV aloud and typed up history notes. We left for Regent’s park about five to get tickets for Midsummer Night’s Dream in the open air theater. It was much better than the last show because the same actors who were great were fantastic and those that were over the top played well in this comedy. It was a fresh interpretation of the script, especially in the costuming. The fairies, instead of having wings and pixie dust, were bald and covered in dirt. All of the characterizations were marvelous. It’s a great show to watch outdoors.

SUNDAY I forgot my tube pass, which I knew would happen eventually, and didn’t realize till we were at the tube station. I made it back out to church for the last talk of sacrament meeting and the rest of church. I memorized my lines for my final in Shakespeare while traveling there alone. Then, once again, nose to the grindstone. I can’t wait for school to be over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home