Friday, June 18, 2004

Week 7

June 14 – 18

MONDAY was the last chance to get help with the final. I think I’ll do fine. Emily helped Matt and I stage my script adaptation for the Shakespeare final. It’s got a lot more flare now. For our last show at The National Theatre we saw Iphigenia at Aulus, a modern adaptation of the Euripides classic. In this story, Agamemnon is forced to sacrifice his daughter Iphigenia so that the ships can get wind to sail to Troy to reclaim Helen. The modernization did not work smoothly because we are aware that ships no longer need wind, but I was able to suspend my disbelief enough to stay engaged. The chorus was a delightful group of women who were involved with most of the action. All in all, I would recommend it.

TUESDAY, Emily, Caitlin, Marianne and I took a day trip to Paris. The Chunnel got us there about 8am and we went home at 10pm. We saw the Eiffel Tower, Arch de Triumph, walked the Champs Elysee, went inside Notre Dame, looked at the massive exterior of the Luvre and explored the Toulouse Lactrec’s old stomping grounds, Monmantre, where the Mulin Rouge once stood. We stopped by a pastry shop on the way home and filled ourselves with delicacies. While on the train, we quizzed each other for Theater History and Shakespeare. It was a great day, and I’m so grateful we didn’t have to look for a place to sleep.

WEDNESDAY, finals were from 8am to 6pm in three hour chunks. I had Shakespeare first, the theatre history students then had time off while the Dramatic Literature students finished. Afterwards, we invited classmates to our final performance and a small group came. They all seemed to enjoy the adaptation. I think this will be an A term. After all that we just relaxed for the night.

THURSDAY was non-stop. Emily and I journeyed to temp agencies and sketchy apartments. The first apartment we went to was a hole with a very strange landlord. We considered it for a few minutes, but have decided it would be too weird. The temp agency does not seem as promising as we’d like. The agent is great, but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of openings right now. Oh, and by the way, I am not cut-out for office work. I’m about average on all my application tests and typing. One day, I need to take a course on intermediate Word, Excel and PowerPoint applications. I have no idea how to merge documents.
Later, we made it to the strangest show ever. It is a German Expressionist piece called Black Rider. Besides saying that is was a very stylized musical that deals with selling one’s soul to the devil and how that backfires, I can’t really tell you what I saw. So interesting. If you have a chance, see an expressionist piece; it’s the only way to know what I’ve seen.

FRIDAY, Emily and I woke up early to prepare to head to the bank to open up Emily’s bank account. My appointment is on the 22nd. We got there on time and it seemed like a pretty easy process. We also stopped by a long-term hostile that we want to move into. The only problem is that the hostile is not available now and may not be for a week. Until then, we are staying in a short-term hostile. It will all work out. We also got a mobile phone. Our friend John sold us his for half-price and we just pre-pay for all our calls. Now I am getting ready to watch About a Boy with Emily and Matt since Matt is leaving tomorrow and we all like the movie. I’ll be sure to keep in touch as much as limited email access will allow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home