Friday, January 29, 2010

Retouching: How much should the industry support

Though I am a participant in minor retouching for headshots as a way for Casting Directors to see the best that I can be, this article, Unattainable Beauty, brings up abhorrent levels of alteration that could have directly cascaded from minor retouching. I feel the pressure to look flawless in pictures.  I have had several retouches done to every headshot including:

Softening of light on my face
Brightening of light in the background
Removal of acne
Softening of smile lines
Removal of fly-away hair
Addition of hair to make a shot with pig-tails look like my hair was down

I am certain that a majority of headshots have been retouched in similar ways.  I doubt that alterations would go so far as to render the picture unrecognizable since a headshot is like a calling card.  If they are expecting the face on your headshot, and you walk in looking remarkably different then you'll be sent from the room.

Articles like this one and the ongoing debate regarding the media's effects on body image (particulalry among young women) make me wonder if even a little support of this practice goes to far.

Realistically though, when I have new shots taken later this year I will make the minor changes that are expected.  To compete, I have to play by the rules.  Here's to hoping that alterations will be few.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home