Sunday, July 11, 2004

Week 10

July 5 - 11

Finally, my last five weeks in England. I couldn't get my computer to communicate with the campus computers, so I couldn't update. All the corresponding pictures will have to wait until I have wireless internet access again. I understand if you just skip all this since it's no longer current. Because of its length, this travelogue will arrive in at least three installments.

MONDAY, for my last day in London, I had to go to the BUNAC office to meet my appointment for my National Insurance number. As it turns out, I may never need it since I didn’t make enough money to have to pay Nash Insurance or taxes. It’s my number for life, though, so it may one day come in handy. After I moved my stuff to Kristen’s room, I dashed to the National Gallery. I loved the varied displays. I was able to see several of the pictures I had been taught about in classes. I then rushed to the Victoria coach station to catch the bus to Northampton.
[written at time of arrival rather than in retrospect] The bus ride was quick. The area is lovely. Since I stepped off the bus I was reminded of why it's so great to be petite and female. A man who had just gotten off his shift showed me to the right bus to get to the campus and made sure to find someone who was headed there as well. This young man is a student here named Benny. He helped me with my suitcases and showed me to my building, which is of course the furthest from the road. He then ran around to find someone to help me move in. I went to the reception desk where they gave me my key as well as a doughnut, a strawberry and lots of tea. I then dropped all my stuff off in the room and called around to let everyone know I was safe. Then I headed back to the reception desk, which if I haven't mentioned is in the center of campus and has 24 hour service, where they directed me to a pub. It was no longer serving food, so they are now going to help me order take-away. I am so glad for everyone's help. Actually, I need a UCN number to get on-line; the office to get that number is closed, so I am writing to you from the reception office. There is no end to their help.

Until Logan arrived on the 8th, I pretty much stayed to myself. We went into town and started the habit of renting 3 movies for 5 pounds for 7 days.

FRIDAY the 9th, Laura arrived and we went to a little gathering to meet the other people on the program. The important introduction was to Rob, the local man who would be playing my husband. He's really nice and friendly, which he would have to be to make a living as a pub DJ. Logan and I also saw Fahrenheit 9/11 which was a brutal examination of the Bush presidency's choices. And I will now move on so as to not offend the conservative persons potentially reading this.

SATURDAY, the 10th, we went to Althorpe, the home of the Spensers, of which Princess Diana is perhaps the most well known. Her body is buried in the island at the center of the lake on the property. There was also a museum commemorating her life. We (and by we I mean Logan Miller, Laura Sorensen and Me unless otherwise noted) walked to the village nearby via the never-ending avenue of trees. Once there we sat at a church and marveled at the local landscape. We were in the Shire, complete with a sign directing us to Long Buckby and Nobottle. We quickly returned to the group bus to go to the local fair dedicated to crafts and dog competitions. We - and this one doesn’t include Laura since she is a vegetarian - shared one of the renown pasties the size of a large paper plate folded on itself and filled to bursting with beef and potatoes. I like British food a lot more than I was prepared to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home