Sunday, September 05, 2004

Theatre of the Awkward

August 28th – September 5th

I almost felt like I was back in London with the amount of theater I got to see this week.
I drove up with Mom to move back in for the final semester. We wanted to see Midsummer Night’s Dream, but it was cancelled, so mom returned home that night on a bus. Monday was classes. We learned about Taming of the Shrew auditions which would be held on Thursday and Friday. Of course, there was pitifully little time to prepare. My favorite class is beginning social dance. The class has a great shy lack of confidence feeling. I was also hired to TA for 114. I can work ten hours a week which will help the repaying of the loan I took out for England. Tuesday was Religion, intermediate make-up and calculus. I have to prepare for a test in two weeks. I thought this would be a lot easier. I took calculus in high school, but evidently you can forget anything without practice. I just have to settle for a C in the class and work towards graduation. Wednesday we (includes the usual Laura and Logan) saw Moon over Buffalo at PTC, a local theatre that always puts on good shows. I also auditioned for Provo Fringe's ten minute play festival which has grown out of the remnants of the student theater group I helped start, Freespace. While I was gone for the summer, the group had personal and artistic differences that have shut Freespace down for the time being. Hopefully others can make it work again next semester. There is no limit to the necessity for student theater. I found out I was cast in Josh's piece called the "Alchemist's Apprentice."
Thursday we (not including Logan) saw Midsummer Night’s Dream at the Castle. It was awkward because Stephen, my ex, was in the show. He had recently moved back to the area. He is attending the state college while preparing to get into BYU. I tried to talk to him afterwards, but he ran away. He emailed me to know what I wanted, I explained, and he told me to forget about it. From what my friends in the cast are saying, he tells it that I broke his heart. Though I feel badly that he is hurting, I know that I made the right decision in breaking up with him.
Friday Laura and I auditioned for Taming. Saturday, neither of us was called back, so I headed to make-up training for Nathan the Wise. I am a make-up supervisor, so I have to help the actors with difficult designs. To feel better about ourselves, Laura and I watched one of the most beautiful shows ever made, Hero. We then met up with Logan and saw one of the most thought provokingly disturbing films, Dogville. I just can’t say enough good things about Nicole Kidman. Sunday was church.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home