Saturday, August 07, 2004

Velosaraptor-Chicken chase escape

We get to Chatsworth on a bright, sunny, afternoon, which makes what happens next all the more unexpected.

We sit on the grass near the car port to eat our lunch before going into the estate. The entrance grounds are populated by sheep and chickens, so their droppings are prevalent. We find a clear place to sit and dig in. A chicken walks by, then another, just passing. Then a chicken walks right past Laura and Logan to stand in front of me. I look at her,she looks at me, and then…she attacks. She jumps on me. Startled, I just sit there for a moment. Then she jumps again. I stand - barely, since the laughing has me doubled-over - and back away slowly. The chicken is between me and my camera. She matches my pace and walks towards me. I work like this until Logan can safely retrieve my camera. The chicken jumps again, so I take off. I run towards the big tree, no longer concerned by the little mounds of poo I am plowing through. Once I get there, I look back, only to see the chicken in hot pursuit. I continue to run to the entrance where cars are trying to find parking spots. Sure enough, the possibility of being run over stops the chicken in her tracks. We stare each other down for a while, and she retreats. By this time I am in pain from trying to escape during fits of laughter. Laura and Logan catch up to me and laugh about how they wish they had their cameras at the ready for moments like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home