Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Auditions - Chicago

Chicago was lovely. I wish I hadn't needed to rush around to all my auditions and completely stress out in my spare time. I'd like to go back when I'm not under duress.

My first grad school audition was terrible. I was completely stressed out and easily distracted. Somewhere in the first lines of my second monologue I saw the auditor pick up my resume and examine it. My headshot was attached to the other side, so all of a sudden I could see my own face out of the corner of my eye. Just as suddenly, I forgot the middle of my monologue. There was no arc. I accused the guy and them let him have it. No build. Therefore, no final audition. With URTA, you are seen by two judges who decide if you should be seen by the representatives of the 20 or so colleges that are in attendance. After that, the colleges that are interested in you call you in for an interview. Unfortunately, I did not pass go. Do not collect two hundred dollars.

After that was Yale. It went much better, but when there was a call back at the end of the hour, my name was not called. Quickly on to Denver Center. The audition was great, but I don't think I was my best in the interview. The best for last, Old Globe, was my best audition and interview, but their competition is to fierce that I doubt I will make it.

So, for now, the plan is to go back next year and try my luck again. I also have to return to see the rest of the Art Institute of Chicago. I only had an hour to peruse, so I missed most of it.

I had a chance to see Steppenwolf's production of the Apple Orchard, which was good. It was minimalist in it's design and emotional choices. There are things that could have been clearer, but I enjoyed it. I was surprised how much Chicago reminded me of London. It just makes me want to go back even more. I am already in mourning for the season I will miss this summer. Luckily, Laura will me there, so I can at least experience it by proxy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home