Friday, February 18, 2005

Auditions - Las Vegas

I have been trying to get a job and some film experience since I've been home. My dad lead me to some auditions on the Saturday after I got back from Chicago. The first, was for a short called "Dirty Laundry." Though the audition was more organized and the staff seemingly more competent, I may be less likely to work with them. Reason #1: the usual, competition. The producer team is holding more auditions and posting audition calls than the other one I went to that day. Reason #2: nudity. I would be required to wear nothing but panties as the camera filmed me from behind while I am about to embark on a sexual encounter. The team tried to quiet my fears by insisting that only the other actor and the director would be there while filming the scene, but that's not as comforting knowing that the film will be released for far more strangers to see. Another supposed comfort, we wont actually film the sex scene, only this prelude. I told them I would consider the nudity if and when we crossed that bridge. Oh, and I would be paid for this gig, also unlike the other one. Any advise anyone? It probably wont be an issue after all, but it's interesting to think about.

Second audition was for several student films though UNLV's film department. The audition was a mess. I was there for 3 hours; only read one scene and performed my monologue once. The bulk of my time was spent reading about 250 pages of Irving's "A Prayer for Owen Meany." Evidently I made an impression, though, because I just got an email asking for a call-back. I would play Cara, the object of the main character's affections - if only he could figure out what her sexual orientation is. As the synopsis says, "hijinks ensue." I'll keep ya posted on what comes from it.

The most important audition was on Monday. I replied to an add to be a Gatekeeper at MGM's Cirque du Soliel show Ka. I would be an usher, but with the added fun of keeping in character. For the interview/audition, I had to spontaneously create a character and lead another auditioner in front of the auditors (which was a length of about 8 paces). I had to show a compelling character and display my aptitude for customer service. I showed my "audience member" the theater then became distracted by his outfit and my desire to touch his clothes. It was really weird. I wasn't sure what I was doing, but it seemed to have gone alright. Afterwards, I was asked a random question to see how well I could improvise a response. I had to sell the auditor on moving to Las Vegas. I talked my mouth off about the strip, good schools, family community and the University before he asked me to stop because I had sold him. There were four of us in the group and I was one of the two asked to complete the application. The next day, I got a drug test (which involves cutting a sample of my hair) and I should hear from them sometime next week. The position is only on-call, so I need another gig to keep my income steady.

Luckily, my friend, Lauren, knows a doctor's office looking for a part-time receptionist. I am going in for an interview tomorrow afternoon. It would be fun to be a receptionist by day and a Gatekeeper by night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home