Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Seclusion (Part 1/3)

I have been on vacation for the last three weeks. My office was moved into a new building on April 1st, but it was so new that the electricity hadn’t been wired. We were hoping for the 18th to reopen, but the 25th was my first day back. The new office is gorgeous! It has wood flooring and a tiled bathroom. It resembles a home more than an office.

My vacation was great. I spent the first few days at home, sleeping a lot and cleaning my room. My room is cleaner than when I first moved in. Then I flew into Fort Collins, just outside of Denver. I spent a few days with my older sister, Christine, and her 2 ½ year old son, Trey. My nephew is a hoot. He likes to mime slinging webs at me so that I get all tangled up and sticky. I was able to help Christine with a baby clothes consignment sale after I got back from a short trip south to see my uncle. It was really good feeling that I could help.

My Uncle Jonny lives in the mountains near Colorado Springs. It was good seeing him since we really don’t talk much. He’s my father’s older brother, and my father’s death was always hard for him to talk about. We finally had one of those talks. I sat crying over my burrito at a table emblazoned with sun in Chipotle while my uncle told me how much my father loved me. I’ve always known that, but it’s good to hear from another source. His wife’s daughter and her son were there as well. Apparently the appeal of Spiderman knows no bounds because Zaiden, my 4 ½ year old second cousin, couldn’t get enough of the web-slinger either. We played his Playstation games, watched the movies and romped around his room in the style of Spiderman vs. foe. I also did some sight seeing in the wilderness out there. It was very tranquil.

When I went back to my sister’s to help with the sale, Trey was happy to see me. It’s really great to be recognized and loved by young family members; they don’t yet know that they have to love you because you’re family. There’s no obligation, so when they love you, it’s sincere admiration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home